Purpose and scope of this notice
The purpose of this Privacy Notice is to tell you what information SHELTER CENTRE collects and how we use it. The Privacy Notice applies to all forms of data we use that are covered under EU data protection legislation (EU Directive 95/46/EU) and, from May 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679). SHELTER CENTRE is based in Geneva, Switzerland, and therefore manages its data in accordance with the laws and regulations set out by the Cantonal Commissioner for Data Protection and Transparency, https://www.ge.ch/ppdt/loi/bases_legales.asp.
How we collect and use your information
We only collect information about you when:
- You volunteer or work with us
- You make a donation
- You enquire about or attend an event, e.g. Shelter Meeting.
- You sign up to receive updates on our activities
- You post on our social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Depending on your privacy settings or the privacy policies of these sites, you might give us permission to receive information about you from them
- You contact us through the following channels: online, email, phone, SMS, social media or by post.
We may also receive information about you from third parties, but only if you have given them permission to share your information with us. Such organisations will have their own privacy policies so please read these before providing your information. We may also collect personal information about you from the public domain, such as from social networks, company websites, political and property registers and news archives.
SHELTER CENTRE will never sell or exchange your personal information with other organisations for marketing purposes.
The types of personal information we might hold about you
If you support our work in of the ways described above, we are likely to hold some of the following information about you:
- Your name, address, email address and phone numbers
- Your date of birth
- Your employer, job title, qualifications and work experience
- If you are taking part in an event we may also collect medical information, passport details and emergency contact details
- Where it is appropriate, we may ask your specific interests relating to our work
- Additional research about you where strictly necessary
- If you are making a donation we may also request and hold additional information about you or your organisation, including financial details (bank accounts, credit cards, tax status, etc) and we may also carry out desktop research into the source of your donation, and the sort of business you do.
Using your personal information
We will use your information for the following purposes, when it is in both yours and our legitimate interests to do so:
- To keep in touch with you regularly in the lead up to any SHELTER CENTRE events you might sign up for. This is to make sure you have all of the information you need for taking part. We may also contact you after the event to get your feedback.
- To tailor internet and social media advertising according to your interests, preferences and the way you have used our website, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn pages
- To send you mailings or call you about our work and how you can help SHELTER CENTRE
- To inform our marketing and promote SHELTER CENTRE and our events in a cost efficient way
With your consent we may also email or send you text messages with SHELTER CENTRE news and opportunities to take part in surveys or research.
We will generally assume the consent you give us to use your information will be valid for three years, unless you tell us otherwise. If you do not respond to any of our emails or respond to our text messages during a three-year period, we may assume that you no longer want us to contact you in these ways and we will therefore delete your information.
We sometimes use external organisations to collect and/or process your personal information on our behalf. By agreeing to this Privacy Notice you are giving us a general written authorisation to do so in relation to the third parties listed below:
- Google Analytics
This list is current as at the date of this Privacy Notice, but may change from time to time. We will ensure that any future changes to this list are reflected in this Notice.
In the process of working with third parties listed above, your data may be transferred outside the EEA.
How long we keep your information for
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity.
If you tell us you do not consent to receive our marketing, we will keep a record of your contact details to enable us to remove you from any contact lists now and in the future.
How do we protect your information?
We implement appropriate technical and organisational security measures to protect your information and keep it confidential, including SSL technology, encryption and firewalls.
You can change your mind about the consent you have given us for any of our marketing or fundraising activities at any time. You can ask us to stop using your information for any of the purposes listed above at any time. You can request to see the information we hold about you at any time and ask us to correct, delete or restrict it.
If you are not happy with the way we have processed your data, you can make a complaint using the contact details at the end of this Notice. If you are not satisfied with how we handle your complaint you have a right to contact the the Cantonal Commissioner for Data Protection and Transparency for Geneva, Switzerland, https://www.ge.ch/ppdt/contact.asp.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
This policy will be reviewed periodically. If we make significant changes we will publish them clearly on our website or contact you directly with more information.
From time to time we may need to amend or update this notice, for example if there is a change in the way that we use personal information or because of updates to the law.
If anything is unclear, please get in touch at the following address:
Shelter Centre Captus sàrl
5, Rue des Sablières