The Shelter Community is a free service that allows Members to:
- contact each other from a world map, which automatically updates member locations;
- post and review sector projects;
- upload documents to be shared through the Community Library;
- indicate availability through the Shelter Register service;
- search sector jobs;
- post sector jobs; and
- customise news, events, projects and jobs information services.
Your location as a member is automatically determined by information already transmitted by your computer. Membership does not involve any spyware, executable files, or downloads.
Eligible to apply are:
- Humanitarian Consultants: upon confirmation by your referees (Humanitarian Staff) that you have operational experience,
- Humanitarian Staff: using official email addresses of humanitarian agencies (although a personal address may be used for all subsequent contacts),
- Available for First Mission: upon confirmation by your referees (Humanitarian Staff) that you have undertaken relevant humanitarian training, as well as an internship with an humanitarian organisation and/or postgraduate research in relevant humanitarian work, and
- Reseachers: under exceptional circumstances and only for the duration of their work.
To apply to join the Shelter Community, follow these six steps:
|When you click on the link below, you will be asked to provide some basic identifying information to help Shelter Centre review your application. You should provide your first name, last name, user name, password and an email address of a recognised humanitarian agency. If you do not have an email address from a humanitarian agency, please provide a regular email address and a referee for verification.|
|You will then receive an email to the address provided, containing a link that you must follow in order to verify your email address.|
|If we accept your application, you will be emailed a confirmation message.|
After the confirmation you will be able to log in with the user name and password that you specified in step 1.
|The first time that you log in, you will be asked to complete the registration form. It consists of 3 areas:|
- confidential information: this information is available only to Shelter Centre, can you can edit it at any time;
- public information: this information can be viewed by other Shelter Community members; and
- preferences for your Dashboard. This includes filtering options regarding preferred job listings and countries to receive news feeds from. In addition, you can also subscribe to the Sector Projects that are of interest to you.
This is a one-time action. The second and consequent times that you log in, you will be redirected directly to your dashboard.
|After completing the registration form, you will have full access to the Shelter Community areas of the website. You will be able to modify your account (and current location) at any time, and to customise your jobs and news preferences.|