- About us
Shelter Centre is a non-governmental organisation registered in Switzerland which supports the sector of humanitarian operations that responds to the transitional settlement and reconstruction needs of populations affected by conflicts and natural disasters, from the emergency phase until durable solutions are reached.
Shelter Centre is looking to fill three entry-level positions that will focus on supporting the Programme Manager with specific publication and technical projects. The internship is for at least three months with a possible extension and is reimbursed with limited funding. The intern will have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic team creating, editing and managing the development of practical tool guidance and regional training tools and prototypes that will directly impact the way in which humanitarian shelter responses are coordinated.
Shelter Centre offers an ideal opportunity to gain a high level overview of how the humanitarian sector works with an insight into how the large international organisations operate. After their internship at Shelter Centre, many project assistants have gone on to work for humanitarian agencies, including Care, Cordaid, DFID, IOM, Oxfam and UNHCR.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing technical input to guidelines
- Working with other interns in the production and desktop publishing of guidelines and other external documents
- Developing training material and learning platforms
- Working with graphic design team to ensure consistency of content and design concepts
- University degree or equivalent in architecture
- Excellent skills in Adobe desktop publishing software, InDesign and Illustrator
- Able to grasp difficult concepts and create a visual representation
- Excellent English skills
- Immediate availability
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Adaptable and flexible to undertake various and urgent tasks
- Methodical and attentive to detail
- Sense of humour
Job Duration:3 months with a possible extension
Please send your CV and a letter of motivation and a writing sample in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention the post “Architect Internship” in the subject of your email and your availability.
In your letter please explain clearly the skills, experiences and characteristics that make you especially suited to the advertised role.
Shelter Centre does not set closing dates for applications; recruitment is ongoing as positions frequently open up. We review every online application. Applicants will be contacted only if they are selected as a potential candidate.
Notice to International Applicants:
If you wish to apply you will be expected to already have a valid Swiss work permit and / or be an EU citizen. Shelter Centre is not in a position to sponsor entry to Switzerland.